Welcome to Crooked Cramer’s Chronicles where, every Friday, we’ll break down the latest and greatest weekly hits about Cramer’s crooked, self-serving, extreme, and gaffe-prone behavior that puts himself and his partisan politics ahead of North Dakotans. Onto the inaugural edition…
TRADE WAR IS “ECONOMIC SELF-MUTILATION.” That’s what a fourth generation North Dakota farmer had to say about the president’s trade war and its escalating disastrous consequences for North Dakota’s farmers, ranchers, and businesses. With 111,100 jobs and over $60 million in exports threatened by the Cramer-endorsed trade war, North Dakotans have reason to worry – particularly when they hear Cramer call their concerns “hysteria” and urge them to have a higher “pain threshold.” North Dakotans won’t be quick to forget that Cramer left them high and dry, putting party loyalty over their best interests. That’s why the Washington Post observed that the trade war “threaten[s] to emerge as a critical issue” in this Senate race.
Some of the coverage the trade war has received in North Dakota:
A RUBBER STAMP FOR TRUMP’S POLICIES. It’s tough to pin down Cramer’s rationale for endorsing the president’s trade war and other policies that go against the best interests of North Dakotans, but Cramer has consistently been a puppet for party politics over North Dakotans, voting with the president 100 percent of the time even when it’s not in their best interest. Recently he’s been trying to have it both ways, attempting to convince North Dakotans otherwise, but his record tells a different story.
Follow the link for a not-so-comprehensive list of the times Cramer was a rubber stamp for Trump and national Republicans’ policies.
WASHINGTON GOP HEALTH CARE SABOTAGE CONTINUES. This week saw two new examples of Cramer’s allies attempting to sabotage affordable and accessible health care for hardworking North Dakota families.
- Halting billions of dollars in payments to the health insurance system’s risk adjustment program – a move that some health experts warn would create “turmoil” and could cause insurers to request double-digit premium hikes.
- Using taxpayer money to push shoddy, short-term insurance plans that charge more to cover pre-existing conditions, “cover fewer services,” and make it harder to find affordable care.
Similar to the trade war, this issue is sure to be top of mind for voters in November. A recent HuffPost/YouGov poll found “American voters are more likely to say they’re focused about health care than any other issue” and Kaiser Health reported that many Americans are worried “about their out-of-pocket costs increasing so high that” they won’t be able to afford care.
THAT’S NOT ALL: CRAMER CALLS FOR CUTS TO SOCIAL SECURITY, MEDICARE. Despite the false claims in a recent ad, Cramer has taken a cue from his Washington party bosses and has repeatedly called for cuts to Social Security and Medicare. Cramer is desperately trying to rewrite history, but we’re here to hold him accountable. This week the North Dakota Democratic-NPL launched a Facebook video highlighting the numerous times Cramer has called for cuts to these vital programs. WATCH here.
CRAMER MISUSES CAMPAIGN FUNDS… AGAIN. Attorney General candidate David Thompson filed an FEC complaint against Cramer for using campaign funds for his own personal use. Reminder: This isn’t the first or second time Cramer has been accused of misusing campaign funds for personal gain or raised “legitimate questions as to the appearance of impropriety” with his actions.
HEADLINE: TRUMP LIKES HEIDI MORE THAN KEVIN. Will Kevin Cramer call the White House and complain about this, too? Only time will tell… but we’re betting yes. From the article:
- [This is a] well-worn Trump strategy: He needs Cramer as a political rubber stamp. Trump was in Fargo to plug for the boot-licker/butt-kisser that Cramer has pledged to be. “With him (Trump) 100 percent of the time,” Cramer said. The prez was not in Fargo because he and Cramer are pals. In fact, there are indications Trump likes Heidi more than Kevin. Kevin has cared about it. A lot.
- I’m guessing Donald likes Heidi because of her independence and feistiness. Both are big personalities. Both speak passionately about their beliefs. She can look him in the eye and unflinchingly challenge him. If not her politics, he likes her confidence and candor.
- By his own conceit, Cramer is a malleable sycophant who will do Trump’s bidding without question. (“With him 100 percent of the time.”)
- Heitkamp is anything but malleable. She’s said repeatedly that she will be with Trump when she agrees with him and against him when she disagrees. That’s classic North Dakota-centric political philosophy. On the other hand, Cramer’s posture is 100 percent Trump-centric. Almost cultish. Therefore, Trump need not respect Cramer. The congressman is in the president’s thrall, apparently no matter what.
CRAMER MUST RETURN CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS FROM ROY MOORE PAC. A PAC that supports accused child molester and former Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore donated to Congressman Cramer’s campaign – but Cramer has yet to return the money, despite another Republican candidate who also received contributions from the PAC doing so. Cramer’s inaction once again puts him standing with the likes of Roy Moore, such as when he defended Moore, saying he should be held to a “different standard” because the allegations against him allegedly occurred “40 years past.”
FLASHBACK: This isn’t the first time Cramer has associated himself with hateful groups. Cramer “sought and received the support of an anti-LGBT group that links homosexuality to pedophilia and defends conversion therapy” and defended Will Gardner, a convicted Peeping Tom, calling him “a very good man” who has a bright political future ahead of him.
CRAMER TELLS TRUMP HIS “ONLY PREFERENCE” IS TO “AVOID ‘AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PICK’” FOR SUPREME COURT. This week, CNN reported that Cramer – when he had the president’s ear to advise him on a Supreme Court Justice pick that would advocate for North Dakota values – instead urged Trump to avoid an “affirmative action pick.” It’s yet another example of Cramer prioritizing ideological politics above what’s best for North Dakotans.
CRAMER IN DAMAGE CONTROL MODE. Less than 24 hours after the Mayor of Grand Forks – a Trump supporter – endorsed Heidi for her ability to work across the aisle and get results for the people of North Dakota and after growing negative press on the trade war, Cramer was forced to call in Washington, D.C. political party bosses to help stop the bleeding from his campaign. TBD on whether Cramer will use his time with Pence to advocate on behalf of North Dakotans… or himself.
TWEET OF THE WEEK.
Until next week!