(BISMARCK, ND) – As Energy Secretary Rick Perry visits North Dakota today, here are three times Kevin Cramer tried to pass off Senator Heitkamp’s work to strengthen North Dakota’s agriculture and energy sectors as his own.
CLAIM: Cramer took credit for lifting the oil export ban.
REALITY: Heidi became “something of a fixture” in panel discussions and on TV and worked “for months” to form “a quiet, persistent alliance” with Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski to overturn the ban.
- Roll Call HEADLINE: “How Heitkamp Kept Crude Oil From Being ‘Keystoned’”
- CNBC HEADLINE: “Sen. Heitkamp: Obama Should Lift Ban On Oil Exports”
- Bismarck Tribune HEADLINE: “Heitkamp Introduces Second Bill To Lift Oil Export Ban”
- GOP Rep. Joe Barton: Heitkamp “represented her constituencies […] and took a lot of heat in her caucus. But she stood her ground” on lifting the crude oil export ban.
- GOP Sen. Murkowski: Heitkamp was “just dogged in her efforts to help educate her party” on the crude oil export ban and “was able to.”
CLAIM: Cramer has taken credit for introducing a fix to the Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) commodity support program included in the Farm Bill.
REALITY: Heidi introduced and pushed for a fix to ARC issues and the farm safety net program.
- AgWeek HEADLINE: “Heitkamp Bill Would Fine Tune Farm Safety Net Program
- Fence Post HEADLINE: “Heitkamp, Ernst Introduce Bill To Fix Farm Safety Net”
CLAIM: Cramer touted that he introduced legislation which incentivized carbon capture technology.
REALITY: Heidi has always been a champion for clean coal and carbon sequestration technology, and has worked across the aisle to bring together “an unprecedented coalition” for commonsense solutions.
- Energy Collective: Heitkamp’s FUTURE Act was “one of the most significant energy and environmental accomplishments by Congress in recent memory.”
- Minot Daily News: Heitkamp took the lead on the FUTURE Act to support the continued use of coal and natural gas.
- Grand Forks Herald: Heitkamp “championed” CCS legislation, “to offer tax credits for research and development of carbon capture technology.”
- Inforum HEADLINE: “Heitkamp Introduces Bill Encouraging Reduction Of Carbon Emissions And Technological Innovation In Energy Sector.”