FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
May 20th, 2019
ICYMI: Dem-NPL Criminal Justice &
Public Safety Legislation
· Representative Mary Schneider (D-Fargo) successfully championed a “ban the box” bill to give people with criminal backgrounds a better chance at employment.
· Representative Josh Boschee, (D-Fargo) and Senator Erin Oban (D-Bismarck) co-sponsored a bill to seal the criminal records of individuals who have kept a clean slate for so many years.
· Representative Ruth Buffalo (D-Fargo) sharpened the state’s focus on missing and murdered indigenous people with a package of bills, including a remedy to the fact that North Dakota doesn’t have a missing persons database.
Hanson notes, “Unfortunately, however, some members of the majority party proposed bills that would have undermined public safety, had they passed.”
· Representative Jeff Magrum (R-Hazelton) introduced a dangerous Stand Your Ground bill.
· Representative Rick Becker (R-Bismarck) wanted to prohibit sobriety checkpoints and attempted to stop law enforcement from enforcing violations of federal firearm laws.
· Representative Sebastian Ertelt (R-Lisbon) wanted to defy federal rule by legalizing bump stocks.
· Representatives Ertelt and Becker, along with Representatives Todd Porter (R-Mandan) and Pat Heinert (R-Bismarck) tried a variety of ways to allow people to carry a concealed weapon into public places like schools, churches, and sporting events.
Having safe communities where families can thrive is what helps people achieve their American dream. Dem-NPL legislators used this session to prove that this can be accomplished, while still making efficient use of taxpayer dollars.
You can read her entire Op-Ed here