(BISMARCK, ND) – To the surprise of no one in North Dakota, Kevin Cramer missed his self-imposed September 1st deadline of when he’d become “concerned” enough to stand against the trade war and break his pledge of supporting the president 100 percent of the time. To hold him accountable for abdicating his responsibility to North Dakotans, the Dem-NPL is revamping its countdown clock to keep track of how long it’s been since Cramer failed to meet his own deadline – instead choosing to once again stand for himself first.
Instead of offering any real, lasting solutions to mitigate the effects of the trade war, Cramer has doubled down on his reckless support. Since he created his self-imposed deadline, he’s:
- Compared someone wanting him to stand up against tariffs to “shoot[ing himself] in the head”
- Attacked Senator Heitkamp as “an enemy of our own country” for working to mitigate some of the harm done to our farmers
- Said of the trade war: it’s all “playing out the way that I hoped”
- Held a meeting with an administration official charged with implementing the tariffs who blithely told concerned North Dakotans to hang tough
- Agreed with this analogy of the trade war: “You know, you got to crack a few eggs to make an omelet, nobody said it’d be easy”
- Maintained that we needed to stay in the trade war: “Some people are saying we need to get out of this trade war. There’s only one thing to do in a trade war and that is win it”