In 2020, the Democratic Party will nominate a Presidential Candidate to represent our party on the general election ballot in November. You can help decide who that person will be!
How YOU Can Be Involved
- Attend your District Convention
- Run to be a Delegate to represent your District at State Convention
- Campaign for your favorite Presidential candidate
- Vote in the Firehouse Caucus – If you can’t be there in person on March 10, Vote by Mail ahead of time
- Attend the Dem-NPL State Convention
- Run to be a National Delegate! Any eligible ND Voter is able to run – you just have to apply! Find the application here.
How to VOTE in the Dem-NPL Presidential Primary
1. Vote By Mail
The Vote-By-Mail request period has now ended.
If you have any questions regarding your mail-in ballot, you may e-mail [email protected]
Your ballot must be postmarked by March 5, 2020 to be counted and must include the signed
Pledge of Support for the Democratic Party.
If you don’t know which District you live in, please click here and enter your address.
2. Firehouse Caucus
If you are a qualified voter in ND, you can participate and vote in person at a designated location
on March 10, 2020. Polls will be open from 11am CST to 7pm CST. Each voter will be required to
sign in, notate their selection of candidate, and sign a Pledge of Support for the Democratic
Polling Locations will be in: Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Minot, Williston, Jamestown, Devils
Lake, Valley City, Dickinson, Wahpeton, and on four of the five tribal reservations. Find your
Votes will be counted by machine in Burleigh County and Cass County. A third-party election
vendor will tabulate and produce results.
** Please note: unlike the traditional presidential caucus that took place in 2016, at the firehouse caucus, you can simply complete your ballot and leave the site.
Important Dates to Know
- January 20 – First day to request a Vote By Mail Ballot
- February 25, 5pm – Last day to request a Vote By Mail Ballot
- March 5 – Vote By Mail Ballots must be postmarked by this date
- March 10 – Firehouse Caucus (In-Person Primary Voting)
- March 14 – Deadline to apply for “District Level” National Delegate position
- March 19-22 – State Convention – Election of District Level National Delegates
- March 27 – Deadline to apply for “PLEO” and “At-Large” National Delegate position
- April 4 – National Delegation meeting – Election of “PLEO” and “At-Large” National Delegates
- July 12-17 – Democratic National Convention
March 10 Firehouse Caucus Locations
- Fargo – Fargo – Moorhead AFL-CIO, 3002 1st Ave N, Fargo, ND 58102
- Grand Forks – IBEW, 1714 N Washington St, Grand Forks, ND 58203
- Bismarck – AFL-CIO House of Labor, 1323 E Front Ave # 1, Bismarck, ND 58504
- Minot – IBEW, 125 35th Ave NE, Minot, ND 58703
- Williston – James Memorial Preservation, Classroom, 621 1st Ave W, Williston, ND 58801
- Jamestown – Gladstone Hotel, Gladstone I Conference Room, 111 2nd St NE, Jamestown, ND 58401
- Devils Lake – Holiday Inn Express, 875 Hwy 2 East, Devils Lake, ND 58301
- Valley City – Straus Mall, Upper floor, 200 Central Ave N, Valley City, ND 58072
- Dickinson – Dickinson Elks Lodge, 501 Elks Dr, Dickinson, ND 58601
- Belcourt – Sky Dancer Casino & Resort, Event Center, 3965 Sky Dancer Way NE, Belcourt, ND 58316
- Fort Yates – Standing Rock High School, Gymnasium, 9189 ND-24, Fort Yates, ND 58538
- New Town – Northern Lights Center, 710 East Ave, New Town, ND 58763
- Wahpeton – Wahpeton Community Center, 304 5th St S, Wahpeton, ND 58075
- Fort Totten – Cankdeska Cikana Community College – Gymnasium, 214 1st Avenue, Fort Totten, ND 58335
Polling sites will be open on March 10 from 10 am MST 6 pm MST; 11 am CST to 7 pm CST.