Bill takes away protections for preexisting conditions, essential health benefits
(BISMARCK, N.D.) – House Republicans voted today to put hundreds of thousands of North Dakotans – and tens of millions of Americans – at risk of losing their health insurance. The bill, which was cobbled together last minute and was not made available to the public prior to the vote, takes away protections for preexisting conditions – like cancer, asthma, diabetes, or women who are pregnant. Cramer recently stated that individuals with preexisting conditions are trying to ‘game’ and ‘abuse’ the healthcare system.
– Over 300,000 non-elderly North Dakotans have preexisting conditions and now risk losing protections under the Republican bill.
– The Republican plan cuts services for children with disabilities.
– Individuals who receive health insurance through their employers – about half the country – will be at risk of losing protections that cap out-of-pocket costs for certain illnesses.
– Up to 7 million veterans will lose access to health care under the Republican plan.
– The bill allows states to seek waivers that would permit insurance providers to take away Essential Health Benefits from coverage plans.